Dallas, TX
972-260-9334

Latest News

George Marcus Swink

Capt. George Marcus Swinkb. March 22, 1832 in Alabamad. February 14, 1905 in Dallas, TexasObituary, transcribed by K. Jane Beaver from original newspaper obituary, presumably theDallas Morning News, Wednesday, February 15, 1905.CAPT. SWINK DEAD──────CAME HERE IN 1868 WHEN DALLASWAS VILLAGE AND UNDERTOOKIMPORTANT ENTERPRISES──────HAD FIRST STREET CAR LINE──────Was one of the Builders and OriginalOwners of Iron…
Read more

Overton Cemetery

I. Context The Overton Cemetery is a small cemetery located at 3229 Overton at the intersection with Leatherwood, two blocks northeast of the 3200 block of E. Illinois in Dallas County. The site was designated as a Historic Texas Cemetery in January 2004.  This application is for a large Texas Historical Marker at the site.…
Read more

Leslie Allison Stemmons

Leslie Allison Stemmons (1876-1939) was born in Dallas County, and studied at Southwestern University (Georgetown, Texas) and at the University of Chicago, majoring in real estate and law. He was then in the gravel mining business with Scott Miller, and worked for Sanger Brothers in Dallas. Then Leslie and Scott Miller formed a real estate…
Read more

Dallas Had a Bomb Factory

Magnesium Fire Levels Bomb Plant In 1943 the headlines of the Dallas Morning News said “Magnesium Fire Levels Bomb Plant.” The article continued describing the most spectacular fire in Dallas History on December 15-16, 1943, when the government’s entire stock of magnesium was lost. Austin Bridge Company, also known as ABCo at that time manufactured incendiary bombs…
Read more

Dr. Henry North Graves

Dr. Graves (1846-1921) moved to Dallas in his later years. He was a well known physician but perhaps less well known for his role in the story of the legendary Texas artillery pieces known as the “Twin Sisters” which played a role in the Texas Revolution. The “Twin Sisters” refers to two field pieces (artillery…
Read more

Sainthood for a Native Born American

An article in the Dallas Morning News dated January 28, 2000, had a headline of “Pope clears sainthood path for native born American.”  There is more to this than was stated in the article from the Washington Post.  In 1992 while researching the files about Freedmans Cemetery on Central Expressway, the following information was found in the…
Read more

Hunnicutt School, Oldest School in DISD

by Kathy Ann Reid, 1/23/2020 William Cunningham (W. C.) Hunnicutt (1818-1868) and wife, Nancy Beeman Hunnicutt (1821-1914), started Hunnicutt’s School in 1856. The exact location is unknown, but it is assumed to have been on Hunnicutt land. The current location at 2444 Telegraph Ave., Dallas, Texas, is near Hunnicut Road and not far from W.…
Read more

Ross Avenue

The city had expanded the limits in 1890 and Ross Avenue, first named Carondelet, was one of the more choice places to live in Dallas. It was one of the first streets in Dallas that was paved, which was a new process. Macadam paving was first used in 1885 and Ross Avenue between Ervay and…
Read more

1856 Tornado

From: History of Dallas County Texas, 1837 to 1887 by John Henry Brown.  The locally famous cyclone struck Cedar Hill, eighteen miles southwesterly from Dallas, April 29, 1856. Mr. Dickson, a merchant, James Berry and family, Mr. Hart and family, and perhaps others were killed. Mrs. Merrifield and children escaped almost miraculously, the house being lifted…
Read more

Dr. W. W. Samuell

William Worthington Samuell was born 13 January 1878, in Georgetown, Kentucky, the son of Capt. Hazael O. and Sallie (Worthington) Samuell. His parents moved to Dallas County, settling in the vicinity of New Hope when he was a year old. After education in the Dallas schools, he attended the University of Texas and took his medical…
Read more