William E. Parry
William E. Parry (Parry Avenue) was born in Dearborn City, Indiana in 1846 and grew up in Kentucky. Parry came to Dallas in 1873, around the time that the railroads reached the area, and began working in the lumber business as a clerk. He married the former Mary Louise Bowing. Parry served the city in a number of positions: deputy district clerk, city secretary (1880), Dallas Board of Education (1884). He pushed for the replacement of wood frame schoolhouses with brick. Parry once organized a parade of children downtown to emphasize the number of children in need of quality education. In business, he became Secretary-Treasurer of Lone Star Paving Company (later known as Lone Star Cement Company) which did a lot of the early paving of streets and sidewalks. Parry died in 1916 and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery.
This article and more like it appear on our web page Named for Early Dallas Area Residents.