William C. C. Akard (Akard Street, Bowen Street, William Street, Porter Street, Cole Avenue) was born in North Carolina in 1826. He moved to Missouri where he married Sara Bowen. The Bowens along with Sara and William then moved to Arkansas, then Collin County, then finally to Dallas in 1865. Bowen Street, in Upper Dallas, is named for Akard’s father in law Ahab Bowen. Akard owned a store in Dallas, but died in 1870 at the young age of 44 on a buying trip to Calvert, Texas to purchase goods for his store. Several other streets were named for Akard’s children: William Street for son William, Porter Street for son Porter and Cole Avenue for son Coleman. The complete article on William C. C. Akard begins on page 1 of Proud Heritage, Volume II.
John Branaman Bachman (Bachman Lake) had been born in Tennessee in 1821. He married Margaret Morris Hughes and they came to Dallas County around 1854, settling near a water source called Browning’s Branch, part of the Trinity River system. John Bachman, his brother William and their families farmed the area which is now part of Northwest Dallas. John Bachman died in 1876 and was buried in Cochran Chapel Cemetery. Browning’s Branch was later renamed Bachman’s Branch in honor of the family. A dam was built in 1903 to form Bachman Lake, originally to provide a water source for the City of Dallas. It proved to be inadequate for that purpose, and the City’s focus was changed to the creation of White Rock Lake, but Bachman Lake remains as a recreation area. The complete article on the descendants of John and Margaret Bachman begins on page 5 of Proud Heritage, Volume I (no longer in print).
Judge John Bookhout (Bookhout Street) was a judge in Dallas for fifteen years. Prior to that, he was engaged in the practice of law. He came to Texas in 1872, was later admitted to the Texas bar before settling in Dallas around 1897. He served as an Associate Justice of the Court of Appeals before retiring due to ill health. He is buried in Oakland Cemetery in Dallas.
John Neely Bryan (Bryan Street) is widely credited as being the founder of Dallas. He came to the area just after 1840, platted what became downtown, originally owned much of the land there. He operated a ferry across the Trinity River and was active in civic affairs. Bryan married Margaret Beeman, the daughter of another well known pioneer family. The actual location of Bryan’s remains are unknown, but there is a centotaph memorial in his honor at Pioneer Cemetery in downtown Dallas.
John Taylor Coit (Coit Road) came to Texas in 1858 looking for a place to settle. He acquired land in upper Dallas County. He was a lawyer and practiced law in Dallas and the family eventually moved to Dallas. Coit fought in the Civil War and died in 1872. The complete article on the John and Catherine Bunting Coit family begins on page 36 of Proud Heritage, Volume II.
William Henry Gaston (Gaston Avenue, W. H. Gaston Junior High School) was born in Alabama in 1840. Prior to the Civil War, his family moved to Anderson County in Texas. W. H. Gaston joined the Confederate Army at the beginning of the war and was elected captain the First Texas Infantry Regiment of Hood’s Texas Brigade in 1861. After contracting and recovering from typhoid fever he was transferred back to Texas where he served in various capacities with the Confederate Army until the end of the war. He married the former Jane Laura Furlow and the couple had three children. His wife, Jane Laura, died in 1867 and he married her sister Ione while managing the family farm in Anderson County. William and Ione had four more children. The couple relocated to Dallas where William went into the banking business, real estate and other enterprises. Two of his banking companies went on to become the First National Bank in Dallas and Republic National Bank, respectively. Gaston was credited for helping bring the rairoads to Dallas, developing the streetcar system and in 1886, he donated eighty acres to form the State Fair of Texas. He passed away in 1927 and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, north of downtown.
Marvin Dan Love (Marvin D. Love Freeway – Highway 67 from the I-35 split to I-20) was a native Texan, born July 16, 1894 in Bell County. His father died when he was five years old and he lived with his mother for a number of years. Marvin served in the United States Navy in World War I. By 1920, Love was residing in Dallas where he would live for the rest of his life. Love was the manager of the Oak Cliff office of Dallas Power & Light Company at the time of his death in January, 1964. The Oak Cliff office of DP&L was a storefront building on West Jefferson where customers could pay their electric bills and see electric appliances on display. He was regarded as an outstanding civic leader in Oak Cliff and served as a deacon in Cliff Temple Baptist Church. Love had also served as chairman of the Dallas Chamber of Commerce central highway committee and was also vice-president for streets and highways in the Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce. In June, 1964 the Dallas County Commissioners Court honored him by naming a section of U. S. Highway 67 “Marvin D. Love Freeway.” The honor was due to Love’s work to improve streets and highways within Dallas County.
Collin McKinney (Collin County, McKinney TX, McKinney Avenue) was born in New Jersey to a Scottish couple, Daniel and Mercy McKinney in 1766. McKinney married Annie Moore in 1793. He and Annie started their family, but Annie died in 1804. Collin then married Betsy Coleman with whom he had more children. Around 1820, they moved from Kentucky to near Texarkana. In 1826, he met and became friends with Ben Milam who was trying to establish a Red River colony. Collin was a delegate to the General Convention at Washington on the Brazos in 1836 and was one of the draftees of the Texas Declaration of Independence and the Texas Constitution. In 1850, after a flood of the Red River, he moved to what is now Collin County. Collin was active in politics and also deeply religious, credited for establishing one of the first Disciples of Christ churches in North Texas. He died in 1861 at the age of 95 and is buried in an old cemetery near Van Alstyne, TX.
J. K. “Jake” Sachse (Town of Sachse, Texas) lived from 1869 to 1937 and was a farmer and Ranger who owned much of what would become the town of Sachse. His father was William Sachse who had come to Texas in 1845, first settling in Collin County and eventually moving further south in Dallas County. William Sachse had come to America from Prussia as a stowaway in 1840. His first wife, Elizabeth McCulloch and he had four children. After Elizabeth died, William married Martha Ann Frost with whom he had ten children including son Jake Sachse. William Sachse built a cotton gin and mill powered by oxen and horses. Jake Sachse was active in church and civic affairs. The complete J.K. Sachse article begins on page 219 and the William Sachse article begins on page 221 of Proud Heritage, Volume II.
The Samuell Family (Samuell Farm, Samuell-Grand Park, Samuell Boulevard, W. W. Samuell High School). The patriarch of the family, as far as Dallas is concerned, was Hazael Offutt Samuell, born in Kentucky in 1843. H. O. Samuell came to Dallas with his wife Sallie Worthington Samuell in 1876 along with their eldest son William Worthington Samuell. H. O. Samuell served a number of public offices. In 1906 he was appointed (presumably by the City Council) to serve as Police Commissioner at a time when this position was one of three important governing positions. W. W. Samuell was a medical doctor. In addition to his practice, he treated police officers and firemen. A grandson (Ed Samuell) was a career officer in the United States Army and later served the City in several capacities. The complete article on The Samuell Family begins on page 96 of Proud Heritage, Volume III.
Leslie Allison Stemmons (Stemmons Freeway, Leslie Street) was born in Dallas County in 1876. He returned to Dallas ofter graduating from college and worked in the gravel mining business. He later worked for Sanger Brothers before becoming successful in the insurance and real estate fields. The Stemmons farm was developed into neighborhoods known as Evergreen Hills, East Kessler Park, Winnetka Heights, Rosemont Crest and others. He was also involved in the commission that promoted construction of the Trinity River levees. The complete article on Leslie A. Stemmons begins on page 242 of Proud Heritage, Volume II.
The Story Family (Story Road in Irving). They were early settlers in the area that would eventually become Irving, Texas. Jonathan and Saphronia Hunsaker Story came to Texas from Illinois in 1856. Saphronia Hunsaker’s family arrived even earlier, in 1840. The Story family cleared a lot of the land for farming and raising cattle. The complete article on the descendants of Jonathan and Saphronia Story begins on page 69 of Proud Heritage, Volume III.
Future projects: Henry Exall, William/Walter Caruth, Isaac B Webb, Jefferson Peak, John C. McCoy, Browder, Alexander Harwood, Nat Burford, William M. Cochran, John F. Zang, Thomas Marsalis, Harry Hines, Amon McCommas, Robert C. Buckner, James W. Latimer, John Jay Good, George Works/Lillian Vickery, Robert Sylvester Munger, William C. Young, J. M. Crowder, Mark Lemmon, George Kessler, Julius Schepps, Woodall Rogers, Henry Schley Ervey, Robert Lee Thornton, Walton Walker, Tom Field, Joe E. Lawther, W. F. Skillman, John W. Carpenter, Angus Wynne, Horatio N. Haskell, C. C. Slaughter