First Christian Church of Rowlett
Rowlett was a tiny farming community of less than 1,000 people when a church of the Disciples of Christ was founded there in 1893. It was the first church to be organized in this area of cotton, corn and onions. Thirteen church pioneers led by Aunt Ebb Coyle, who donated part of her farmland for the church home in the downtown area of the rural village, are credited with establishing this early church. The others were Margaret Kirby, Peachie McFarland, Mrs. McMasters, Lizzie Page, Jake Chenault, Mrs. Whatley Joe Pea, Mr. and Mrs. John Beicher, Hatton Knox, Bill Tucker, and West Tucker. Less than twenty members gathered in the Big A School House when they first began meeting.
Construction of the first building began in 1894, with Tom Mills as the head carpenter, assisted by other members of the church. Completed in 1895, the building served the church until a larger one was built in 1923.